Badajoz Carnival Dates 2020 - Join In The Fiesta in Extremadura
The carnival in Badajoz dates back many years, as you can see on the official website in Spanish, where you can find posters dating back to the year 1981.
Nowadays, the carnival has grown in popularity and it has been declared an event of national touristic interest, although the town is working towards promoting it outside of Spain, in order to gain international recognition.
But even though the carnival in Badajoz is not as big and well known as others in Spain, like the one in Tenerife, or Sitges (near Barcelona) or even the carnival in Aguilas (Murcia), if you plan to visit the region of Extremadura during the time this festival is on, we really recommend that you don't miss it.
It is a great way to experience an authentic Spanish carnival along with the locals and to join in all the fun.
Badajoz Carnival Dates - 2020 Edition: 21 - 25 February 2020
The carnival starts on a Friday and ends the following Tuesday with the Burial of the Sardine (Entierro de la Sardina).
- Dates: From 21 February to 25 February, 2020
- Location: Badajoz (Extremadura)
These are the events during the carnival in Badajoz:
- Friday - the inaugural night of the carnival and the Grand Finale of the Murgas Contest
- Saturday - Popular Costume Contest, followed by a large street party that lasts all night long. All the participants are advised to wear a costume or a disguise, if they want to blend in with the crowd.
- Sunday - the big carnival parade that passes through Paseo Fluvial, Santa Marina, Enrique Segura Otaño and Avenida de Europa
- Monday - large carnival celebration all night long in the neighborhood San Roque
- Tuesday - Burial of the Sardine on Shrove Tuesday - Also known as Martes de Carnaval (Carnival Tuesday), this event consists of a funeral procession in which the coffin of the sardine is followed by the carnival participants, all dressed in black.
Tips if you want to have a good time at the carnaval in Badajoz
- Wear a costume on Saturday and Monday after midnight. On Friday and Sunday it is not 100% necessary, but it is highly recommended as well
- Dress accordingly for the winter weather - the carnival is held usually in February or March and in Badajoz it gets cold at night during that time of the year, so wear warm clothes, because the carnival is celebrated outside on the streets
- If you come to Badajoz by car, try to park it as far as possible from Plaza de España.
- Try to book a hotel or an apartment close to where the event takes place, if you plan to enjoy every night of the carnival. You can get $40 OFF your first Airbnb reservation when you create a new account and you book an apartment for the first time!
Also, if this will be your first time coming here, try to discover the city's hidden treasures, although it can be quite busy during the carnival days.
There are lots of things to do in Badajoz and places to visit (like the Alcazaba of Badajoz) and it would be a shame not to do some sightseeing while you are there.
- Best Villas and Apartments: we always use Airbnb for holiday rentals
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Looking for a hotel? Booking.com is our top choice for hotel reservations.
- For tours and excursions, we recommend using Get Your Guide, since they offer free cancellation up to 24 h before the activity starts.