Águilas Carnival 2020 Dates - The Largest Carnival in Murcia
The carnival in Águilas is the most famous in the region of Murcia and its distinctive features are the "cascarones de confetti" (eggshells filled with confetti) and the "cuerva" (a wine based drink).
Music groups, extravagant costumes, a proper carnival parade - these are all of the characteristics of the carnival in Aguilas.
Although it is not yet as big or as popular as other carnivals in Spain, the event in Aguilas attracts larger crowds every year. Just like it is the case with the carnival in Badajoz, this one is still more popular among locals than among tourists, so it's a way to immerse yourself in the local culture and experience something new.
Aguilas Carnival 2020 - The Largest Carnival in Murcia: 15 February - 29 February 2020
The info below is from the 2019 edition of the carnival and will be updated when there is more info available.
Dates and Schedule of Events - 2019 Edition
(these are the most important events in the program of the carnival's last edition)
Saturday 2nd MARCH 2019
- Event: DON CARNAL AND DOÑA CUARESMA BATTLE
- Location: Plaza de Espana at 22:00
Sunday 3rd March 2019
- Event: 1ST GREAT CARNIVAL PARADE
- Starts at 18:00 h
Monday 4th March 2019
- Event: NIGHT CARNIVAL (Noche de Carnaval)
- Location: Plaza de Espana, at 24:00
Tuesday 5th March
- Event: 2ND GREAT CARNIVAL PARADE
- Starts at 18:00 h
Saturday 9th March 2019
- 3RD GREAT CARNIVAL PARADE - BEGINNING at 18:00 H
- QUEMA DE DON CARNAL AND FIREWORKS (at Playa de la Colonia at 24:00 h)
- CARNIVAL AWARDS in Plaza de Espana
Friday 15th March 2019
- Event: XVI NATIONAL DRAG QUEEN FESTIVAL
- Location: Auditorio Infanta Dona Elena
La Cuerva - the official drink of the Carnival in Aguilas
La Cuerva is the typical drink that is prepared during the carnival fiesta in Aguilas. It is said that this is prepared using all the leftover alcohol from Christmas.
It is usually prepared in a large jug where you mix different types of alcohol, including tequila, vodka, whiskey and other similar spirits, plus white wine and red wine. Then the sugar is added and stirred until all is mixed well. The last step is to add the soft drinks, which will cut the alcohol and make it sweeter. There is even a contest in the carnaval of Aguilas for the best cuerva drink and a jury will choose the best one, which gets the prize as the "Supercuerva".
Book an apartment on Airbnb
If you book ahead of time you can find some great deals on apartments situated right next to Plaza de Espana, where the party is happening every night.
Los Cascarones & The battle of Don Carnal and Doña Cuaresma - a tradition of the carnival in Las Aguilas
Los Cascarones play an important role in the traditions around the Carnaval of Aguilas. Months before the carnival begins, the families in the city will start storing the shells of all the eggs used in the house, then they are covered with colorful tissue paper or painted in beautiful colors and filled with confetti.
Los Cascarones are then used during the carnival in the battle of Don Carnal and Doña Cuaresma which takes place in Plaza de Espana on the Saturday before the big carnival parade. The square is filled with colorful confetti and the eggs are used as "projectiles" in this fun and colorful battle.
- Best Villas and Apartments: we always use Airbnb for holiday rentals
- First Time Airbnb Users: if you sign up from our link you will get a 41€ discount for your first Airbnb reservation.
- Looking for a hotel? Booking.com is our top choice for hotel reservations.
- For tours and excursions, we recommend using Get Your Guide, since they offer free cancellation up to 24 h before the activity starts.